The need to support at-risk and homeless youth in Durham Region is great.
Through a variety of circumstances, there is at-risk and homeless youth in Durham Region that Durham Youth Services is going to help and support in their growth to healthy, happy, independent adults.
No one chooses to be homeless. The reasons why people become homeless are complex and are often caused by circumstances beyond their control. The basic cause is poverty, resulting from a family crisis, a loss of employment or income, and possibly a lack of access to basic medical and in some cases, mental health services.
Some of the stark realities of being homeless are:
- The continuous search for shelter
- Inadequate food, nutrition and clothing
- Victimization, sexual harassment and physical assault
- Mental health and/or substance abuse problems
- Inadequate medical and social services
- Negative or low self-esteem
- Social isolation
- Poor to no prospects for employment
- No access to affordable, accessible and appropriate permanent housing
- Joanne’s House provided housing to over 400 youth in 2018, a 22% increase from 2017
- The majority of youth that accesses the shelter are from Oshawa and Ajax
- Most of our residents identify as male
- The average age of our residents is nineteen
- The number one reason why they are homeless is due to a breakdown in their family
Who are we helping?
Make A Donation
As the only shelter for homeless and at-risk youth in Durham Region, we want to ensure that we respond to what youth in our community need.