Durham Youth Services is supported by the community it serves. As with all charity organizations we rely on a mix of paid staff and volunteers to continue the great work we do.
Vacant volunteer positions available:
We currently have vacant positions on our board of directors and are looking for volunteers searching for an opportunity to make a positive impact in our community!
Qualified candidates will ideally have previous experience serving on a board of directors, and/or serving on a committee. Durham Youth Services’ board is proud to reflect the diversity and vibrancy of our community by seeking community-minded leaders, particularly with knowledge of and experience in finance, law enforcement and legal, and have community connections and influence.
The term of the appointment is two (2) years beginning September 2021.
Board candidates should be:
- willing to advocate for DYS and champion its issues;
- a strong team player
- prepared to engage and focus on DYS’ needs
- prepared to attend regularly scheduled Board meetings and other meetings as required
- an active participant on one or more committees
For a full description of the role and expectations download the role guidelines.
Interested individuals should apply with a copy of your CV and letter of interest to – firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank everyone who applies but only candidates will be contacted.
Volunteer Delivery Drivers (1 day per week on Mondays)
We are proud of the impact that we make. But we cannot do it alone. We rely on the support of partners and the commitment and dedication of generous volunteers to help us achieve our mission.
DYS partners with Feed the Need Durham, who supply high-quality groceries and household necessities to help us provide nutritious meals to our clients in need.
Currently we are seeking 1 – 2 VOLUNTEER DELIVERY DRIVERS with access to a large-capacity, reliable vehicle, who are able to pick up food delivery orders from Feed the Need Durham (in Oshawa) and deliver it to our location in Ajax each Monday afternoon.
Candidates should be:
- Dependable, and committed to making a difference in your community
- 18 years of age or older (if volunteering in a pair, one party must be at least 18)
- Have access to a reliable, large-capacity vehicle that you are able to use for deliveries
- Have a valid driver’s license and valid insurance; must abide by all road safety rules
- Possess a working cell phone to receive updates/requests
- Able to lift 20 – 40 lbs
For further information, please contact email@example.com
Other volunteer opportunities
Additional opportunities for volunteering include but are not limited to:
- Volunteering for the occasional two-hour bingo shift at Delta Pickering Bingo (DYS is one of the many local charities that benefit from the support of Delta Bingo & Gaming (Pickering))
- Hosting a fundraiser in your workplace, school, or church
- Helping with gardening and home projects
For more information, please complete the Volunteer Application Form and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Make A Donation
As the only youth shelter in Durham Region, now with a growing range of services, we want to ensure that we respond to the real needs of the youth in our community.